You’ve probably put a lot of thought and care into choosing the furniture for your home, but did you know that choosing area rugs is also important? Area rugs can change the entire look of a room, and it’s fun to play with different colors, textures, and styles. Here are five things to think about when choosing area rugs for your home:
1. Consider color. Color can be one of the most important factors to consider when choosing area rugs for your home. If your furniture and accessories are brightly colored or contain a variety of colors, you might want to stick with single-color rugs. If your furniture is neutral, adding a bold-colored or patterned rug can make everything pop.
2. Play with texture. Remember, textures don’t have to match; in fact, a room is more interesting with a variety of textures. Use a shag rug in a room with sleek upholstered or wooden furniture, or a tightly looped wool rug in a room that already has a big, fluffy bedspread or throw pillows.
3. Size it up. An area rug should fit the seating area of a room; the front legs of furniture can either sit on the edge of the rug or be completely on the rug. Square or round rugs look best in square rooms and rectangle rugs are great for rectangular-shaped rooms. In a dining room, be sure that dining chairs can be pulled completely back from the table and still be on a rug placed under the table.
4. What’s your lifestyle? If you have children or pets, or you’re always having friends over for get-togethers, you’ll probably want rugs that are stylish but don’t break the bank. But if you’re single or an empty-nester and want to invest in an heirloom piece that you can show off to your friends, go for it! The key is to have rugs you’ll enjoy and that are conducive to your way of life — not that you’ll feel burdened with constantly cleaning or worrying that someone will spill something on them.
5. Maintenance matters – Regularly vacuum and spot clean your rugs, and have them deep cleaned once a year. If you have an expensive, high-end rug, you’ll want to avoid placing it in a high-traffic area, such as an entrance foyer; the time and money it will take to keep it cleaned and in good shape won’t be worth it. Use a nice-looking but lower-cost rug in these areas instead.
Pinterest is a great place to find rug inspiration. And don’t forget that our friendly team is always available to help you with the look and feel you want in your home — from the furniture to the rugs!